Hi Bold Bakers!
You know when you’re strolling through your local grocery market’s bakery section, and you spot those incredibly bright, almost-artificial looking but adorable cupcakes for sale? They sure are cute, but their innocent look hides what you know will be a saccharine sweet flavor.
Well, you can have both a cute pink cupcake and one that tastes incredible!
My Homemade Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese frosting aren’t just gorgeous, they’re everything you could want in a strawberry cake.
Seriously! These cupcakes are bursting with strawberry flavor, thanks to a strawberry puree in both the cake mix and the cream cheese frosting. If you like strawberry cheesecake, you’ll LOVE this frosting. It adds the perfect balance of tangy and sweet.
The hardest part of this recipe is trying to pick the perfect sprinkles!
What Are Strawberry Cupcakes?
My strawberry cupcakes are a typical cake recipe, made with sour cream for extra moisture, and strawberry puree to get that perfect strawberry flavor.
Cream cheese frosting shouldn’t remind you of your morning bagel. This strawberry cream cheese frosting from scratch uses butter, cream cheese, and plenty of powdered sugar to ensure that you’ll get a creamy, spreadable frosting that is both tangy and sweet. To make it strawberry-flavored, I add strawberry puree and a teaspoon of strawberry extract (but that is optional).
What You Need To Make Strawberry Cupcakes
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 12-cup cupcake pan
- Paper cupcake liners
- Mixing bowls
- Blender or food processor
How To Make Strawberry Cupcakes
Ready to learn how to make the perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day, the end of summer, or, really, any occasion when you want a sweet, strawberry treat? (And don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below.)
- To make the strawberry puree, in a blender or food processor, blend the strawberries until pureed and smooth. Use as-is or pass through a sieve to remove the seeds then use.
- In a bowl, whisk together cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate measuring jug, combine your strawberry puree and sour cream until well blended.
- In another large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, blend sugar, butter, and oil for one minute. Add egg and yolks one at a time and mix for another minute.
- Blend in the vanilla extract and food coloring.
- Add in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the puree mixture. Blend until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into a 12-cupcake pan lined with paper liners.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 20-25 minutes. You can check for doneness by inserting a thin knife into the center of a cupcake. They’re done when it comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing them. Allow cooling completely before frosting.
And, of course, here is how you make the strawberry cream cheese frosting:
- Either in the microwave or on the stove, bring the strawberry puree to a boil and reduce half of it to 1/4 cup. Allow it to cool completely before continuing.
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar until well combined.
- Add in the cream cheese and blend until it is incorporated and fluffy.
- Now, mix in the cooled strawberry puree and strawberry extract (if you are using). If you want a deep, pink color, add in a drop of food coloring.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto cooled cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles.
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Strawberry Cupcakes With Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Make sure all of your cupcake ingredients are at room temperature for the best rise!
- No cake flour? Make your own Homemade Cake Flour!
- No sour cream? Make your own Homemade Sour Cream!
- The butter and cream cheese needs to be softened to make the best frosting, but still cool to the touch.
- For a more intense strawberry flavor, blend a cup or two of freeze-dried strawberries and add it to your frosting.
- These cupcakes freeze lovely, so you are able to make them in advance!
How To Store Them
These cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, they are perfect for freezing! Once baked, they can be frozen for up to a month. If frozen, defrost on your counter at room temperature for 2 hours.
Make More Cupcakes!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!