Hi Bold Bakers!
One of the best parts about being a Bold Baker is having lots of sweet tricks up your sleeve. For me, that means having loads of easy cookie recipes I can pull together at the drop of a hat without ever having to open a cookbook.
These wonderful Shortbread Cookies are one of my go-to recipes for a classic buttery fix that gives Walkers Shortbread Cookies a run for their money. I can make this simple 3,2,1 recipe off the top of my head and now you can too with my shortbread cookies recipe!
Everything A Shortbread Cookie Should Be
Yes, this recipe only has 3 ingredients, but what you end up with is a classic, buttery, crumbly, crispy, shortbread cookie that has all of the flavors you love without any of the fuss. Did you know you can even make them in chocolate? Because you can with my Chocolate Scones recipe!
What is a “3, 2, 1 Recipe?”
For those of you who don’t know, a 3,2,1 recipe is a recipe that has only 3 ingredients and a ratio of 3 parts to 2 parts to 1 part (ratio applies to cup measurements only). These 3 Ingredient Shortbread Cookies are mostly flour, the third part, then some butter, the second part.
Lastly a bit of powdered sugar, the one part. And for those of you who do not use eggs – not an egg in sight! All you have to do is mix up the dough, roll it into a log, let it chill and then slice them into perfect little rounds.
What You’ll Need For This Shortbread Cookie Recipe
- Electric Mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking Sheet and Parchment Paper
- Large Bowl
- Plastic Wrap
- Cooling Rack
How To Make Shortbread Cookies
There is something so satisfying about both making and eating these lovely 3 ingredient cookies. On top of being an incredibly versatile and easy recipe to remember, these easy Shortbread Cookies are made in just one bowl and bake up super fast. All you have to do is mix up the dough, roll it into a log, let it chill and then slice them into perfect little rounds. The finished cookies bake up to golden brown perfection with a super crumbly and rich texture thanks to all that creamy butter (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below).
- Preheat your oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper — parchment paper is the best way to keep your cookies from sticking in general, and it makes cleanup so, so easy!
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream the soft butter (can be salted butter or unsalted butter) and confectioners sugar together.
- Add in the flour and mix.
- On powder sugar-dusted counter, roll the dough into a log.
- Wrap the log and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes. This helps develop flavor along with ensuring your cookies won’t spread during baking.
- Slice the dough into cookies and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes before placing it on a cooling rack.
Variations Of Shortbread Cookies
While I love to enjoy Shortbread Cookies all on their own, there are so many things you can do with them: make them into shortbread thumbprint cookies with a bit of jam, turn them into lemon shortbread cookies with a lemon flavor and lemon zest, use some icing and sprinkles to turn them into Christmas shortbread cookies (complete with a frosted Christmas tree), fill them with peanut butter to make shortbread and peanut butter sandwiches, dip one half of them in chocolate – the possibilities with shortbread are endless.
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
Watch The Recipe Video!