Hi Bold Bakers!
There are thousands of recipes out there that will yield a fancy (and delicious, I’m sure!) dessert—but pound cake is just one that you will go back to again and again. And if you’re a chocolate lover, then you have to try this fantastic homemade chocolate pound cake!
This recipe is simple, straightforward, and satisfying!! It is a deep, dense, dark chocolate cake that will cure any chocolate cake craving you have, and it’s also incredibly versatile. Dress it up for company with spiced rum caramel sauce. Or, dress it down for afternoon tea with a delicious chocolate glaze.
You just can’t beat a dessert that’s delicious, easy to make, and as moist and satisfying as this super chocolate pound cake!
What Is Chocolate Pound Cake?
I’ve shared with you my Sour Cream Pound Cake (unbelievably moist, by the way), a refreshing Glazed Lemon Pound Cake, and a few other favorites, but it was time I gave the chocolate lovers what they want, even if they didn’t know it yet!
My chocolate pound cake is a classic pound cake made with unsweetened cocoa powder to get that intense chocolate flavor, and sweetened with both granulated sugar and dark brown sugar, the latter of which helps make the cake extra moist!
What You Need To Make Chocolate Pound Cake
How To Make Chocolate Pound Cake
This is a great, simple recipe to add to your go-to favorites! Here is how you make it (and don’t forget to get the full recipe with measurements, on the page down below):
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C) and prepare a 9×5 inch (23×12.5cm) loaf pan by buttering and lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cocoa powder and the boiling water until smooth. Let cool.
- Add the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract to the bowl and beat until it is light and fluffy; this usually takes around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the flour until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for around 70-80 minutes, or until a wooden skewer can be inserted into the center and comes out clean.
- Let the pound cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before lifting it out and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled, make the chocolate glaze! Warm the chocolate, milk, and vanilla in a microwave or a pot on the stove until melted and incorporated. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle the warm glaze over the cake and let it set before serving!
Gemma’s Pro Chef Tips For Making Decadent Chocolate Pound Cake
- This simple cake is perfect for bringing to a picnic or an outing—it’s so easy to transport.
- Dress this cake up with ice cream and spiced rum caramel sauce or macerated berries! To make macerated berries, mix 4 cups (20oz/568g) fresh or frozen berries (sliced if large) with ½ cup (4oz/115g) granulated sugar. Let sit on the counter for about 45 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the berries have released some liquid and a sweet sauce is formed.
- You can use this cake to make a trifle by using it in place of brownies in my Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Raspberry Trifle or my Salted Caramel and Chocolate Brownie Trifle.
- Be sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature before you start for the most even mixing.
- For an even richer experience, drizzle this pound cake with a ganache glaze!
How To Store Chocolate Pound Cake
You can store this chocolate pound cake, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 3 days. It also freezes wonderfully and can be kept, well-wrapped, in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Make More Pound Cake!
And don’t forget to buy my Bigger Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe below!
How do you make a pound cake even better? You add chocolate — and make my Chocolate Pound Cake recipe filled with luscious and decadent flavor.
Servings: 1 loaf
- 1 cup (4oz/115g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup (5floz/142ml) boiling water
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) butter (softened)
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup (4oz/115g) dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup (4oz/115g) bittersweet chocolate (finely chopped)
- ⅓ cup (2½floz/71ml) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C) and butter a 9×5 inch (23×12.5cm) loaf pan and line with parchment.
Place the cocoa powder and boiling water in a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Let cool.
To the bowl add the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and the vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes).
Add the eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the flour until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 70-80 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before lifting out of the pan and onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Once cooled, make the chocolate glaze: warm the chocolate, milk, and vanilla in the microwave or in a pot on the stove until melted and incorporated. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Drizzle the warm glaze over the cake and let it set before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.